Dr. Aren M. Maeir
name, title, department, and relevant personal data:
Dr. Aren M. Maeir
Institute of Archaeology
Martin (Szusz) Department of Land of Israel Studies
Tel: +972-3-5318299/350; Fax: +972-3-5351233
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
internet links to relevant data:
Website of Tell es-Safi/Gath Archaeological Project – www.dig-gath.org
list of fields and subjects of your specialization:
archaeology, biblical archaeology ; ancient near eastern archaeology ; ancient history ; weapons and warfare ; cultural and trade relations ; ancient technology ; field archaeology
list of fields and subjects you would like to hear about:
Anything on the ancient world
list of publications:
1. Maeir, Aren M. 1988-9. "Remarks on a Supposed 'Egyptian Residency' at Gezer." Tel Aviv 15-16:65-67.
2. Maeir, Aren M. 1989. "Hyksos Miscellanea." Discussions in Egyptology 14:61-68.
3. Maeir, Aren M. 1989. "A Note on a Little-known Egyptian Statue from Jerusalem." Gottinger Miszellen 110:35-40.
4. Maeir, Aren M. 1990. "Mount Zion Gleanings." Israel Exploration Journal 40:68-70.
5. Maeir, Aren M. 1990. "A Possible Hebrew-Egyptian Bilingual Inscription from the 'Ophel', Jerusalem." Gottinger Miszellen 114:63-69.
6. Maeir, Aren M. 1992. "Selected Bibliography of the Archaeology of Biblical Jerusalem." In Hebrew. In The New Encyclopedia of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land, Vol. 2, ed. Stern, Ephraim, pp. 630-32. Jerusalem: Israel Exploration Society.
7. Maeir, Aren M. and Garfinkel, Yosef. 1992. "Bone and Metal Straw-tip Beer-Strainers from the Ancient Near East." Levant 24:218-23.
8. Maeir, Aren M., Yellin, Joseph, and Goren, Yuval. 1992. "A Re-evaluation of the Red and Black Bowl from Parker's Excavations in Jerusalem." Oxford Journal of Archaeology 11 (March):39-53.
9. Yellin, Joseph and Maeir, Aren M. 1992. "The Origin of the Pictorial Krater from the `Mycenaean' Tomb at Tel Dan." Archaeometry 34(1):31-36.
10. Maeir, Aren M. 1993. "Excavations at Mamilla in Jerusalem." In Hebrew. Qadmoniot 101-102:56-61.
11. Maeir, Aren M. 1993. "Selected Bibliography of the Archaeology of Biblical Jerusalem." In The New Encyclopedia of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land, ed. Stern, Ephraim and Gilboa, Ayelet, pp. . Jerusalem: Israel Exploration Society.
12. Bahat, Dan and Maeir, Aren M. 1993. "The Archaeological Excavations." In Hebrew. In The Making of City Hall Complex, Jerusalem, Kroyanker, David, pp. 323-26, 330-32. Jerusalem: Ariel.
13. Maeir, Aren M. 1994. "The Excavations at Mamila, Phase I (1989)." In Ancient Jerusalem Revealed, ed. Geva, Hillel, pp. 299-305. Jerusalem: Israel Exploration Society.
14. Maeir, Aren M. 1994. "Hyksos, Horses and Hippopotami: A Note." Levant 26:231.
15. Maeir, Aren M. 1996. "The 'Judahite' Swords from the 'Lachish' Reliefs of Sennacherib." In Hebrew with English Summary. Eretz Israel 25:210-214.
16. Maeir, Aren M. and Strauss, Yael, 1996. "A Pilgrim Flask of Anatolian Origin from Late Byzantine/early Ummayyad Jerusalem." Anatolian Studies 46:237-241.
17. Maeir, Aren M. 1997. "T.1181: A Multiple-Interment Burial Cave of the Middle Bronze age IIa-b." In Hazor V: an account of the fifth season of excavation, 1968, ed. Ben-Tor, A., pp. 295-340. Jerusalem: Israel Exploration Society.
18. Maeir, Aren M. 1997. The Material Culture of the Central and Northern Jordan Valley during the Middle Bronze Age II: Pottery and Settlement Patterns. Unpublished Dissertation. Jerusalem: Hebrew University.
19. Maeir, Aren M. 1998. “Review of: P.J. Riis, et al. 1996. Sukas X: the Bronze and Early Iron age remains at the Southern Harbour. Copenhagen: Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters”. Israel Exploration Journal 48:295-298.
20. Maeir, Aren M. 1998. “Review of: L. G. Herr. 1996. Published pottery of Palestine. Atlanta, GA: Scholars Press”. Israel Exploration Journal 48:298.
21. Boas, A. & Maeir, A.M. 1998. “The Renewed excavations at Tell e-Safi/Gath”, in The Judean Shephelah: Man, Nature and Landscape. Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual Conference of the Martin (Szusz) Department of Land of Israel Studies, ed. O. Ackermann, pp. 33-39. Ramat Gan: Bar Ilan University (Hebrew).
22. Maeir, Aren M. 1998. "Philistines in Sardinia: a critical re-appraisal". Ugarit Forschungen 30:497-510.
23. Faust, Avi & Maeir, Aren (eds.). 1999. Material Culture, Society and Ideology: New Directions in the Archaeology of the Land of Israel. Conference Proceedings. Ramat Gan: Bar Ilan University (In Hebrew).
24. Faust, Avi & Maeir, Aren. 1999. "Material Culture, Society and Ideology in the Archaeology of the Land of Israel". In Material Culture, Society and Ideology: New Directions in the Archaeology of the Land of Israel. Conference Proceedings. Eds. Faust, Avi & Maeir, Aren, pp. 5-10. Ramat Gan: Bar Ilan University (In Hebrew).
25. Maeir, Aren M. 1999. “Review of: M. Yon, M. Sznycer & P. Bordreuil. 1995. Le Pays d'Ougarit autour de 1200 av. J.-C. Histoire et archeologie. Ras Shamra-Ougarit XI. Actes du Colloque International, Paris, 28 juin-1er juillet 1993. Paris: ERC”. Israel Exploration Journal 49:297-300.
26. Maeir, Aren M., & Boas, Adrian. 1999. "Tel Zafit - 1997". Hadashot Arkheologiyot 110:68.
27. Maeir, Aren M. 2000. "Jerusalem Before David - an Archaeological Review" In Hebrew. In Sefer Yerushalayim I, eds Ahituv, Shmuel and Mazar, Amihai, pp. 33-65. Jerusalem: Yad Yitzhaq Ben Zvi.
28. Maeir, Aren M. 2000. “Review of: E. Miron. 1992. Axes and Adzes from Canaan (PBf 9:19). Stuttgart: Frank Steiner”. Israel Exploration Journal 50:143-145.
29. Maeir, Aren M. 2000. “Sassanica Varia Palaestiniensia: A Sassanian seal from T. Istaba, Israel, and other Sassanian objects from the southern Levant”. Iranica Antiqua 35:159-183.
30. Maeir, Aren M. 2000. "The political and economic status of MBII Hazor and MBII trade: an inter- and intra-regional view". Palestine Exploration Quarterly 132:37-58.
31. Maeir, Aren M & Ponting, Matthew J. 2000. "'The Cutting Edge': Symbolism, technology and typology of a New Kingdom Egyptian axe". Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archaeologischen Instituts, Kairo 56:267-276.
32. Maeir, Aren M. 2000. “Hamadiya-North: a rural MBII settlement in the Bet She'an Valley”. `Atiqot 39:31-42.
33. Maeir, Aren M. In press. “The MBII Pottery”. In: Tel Beth Shean I: Area R – The MBII and LB Levels (A. Mazar, A.M. Maeir & R. Mullins) (Qedem). Jerusalem: Insitute of Archaeology.
34. Maeir, Aren M. 2002. “The relations between Egypt and the Southern Levant during the Late Iron Age: the material evidence from Egypt”. Ägypten und Levante 12: 235-246.
35. Maeir, Aren M. 2002. "Red, White and Blue ware: a little-known group of painted pottery of the Middle Bronze II Period". In Studies in Memory of Aharon Kempinski (Beer-Sheva Series), eds. S. Ahituv & E.D. Oren, pp. 228-240. Beer-Sheva: Ben Gurion University.
36. Maeir, Aren M. and Bahat, Dan. In press. "The Excavations at Kikar Ha'Ir." `Atiqot.
37. Maeir, Aren M., et al. forthcoming. Excavations at Mamilla, Jerusalem, Vol. I: The 1989 Season. 'Atiqot. Jerusalem: Israel Antiquities Authority.
39. Maeir, Aren M. 2001. The Philistine Culture in Transformation: A Current Perspective based on the Results of the First Seasons of Excavations at Tell es-Safi/Gath", in Maeir, A.M. & Baruch, E. (eds.), Settlement, Civilization and Culture: Proceedings of the Conference in Memory of David Alon, 111-131. Ramat Gan: Bar Ilan University
40. Maeir, A.M. & Baruch, E. (eds.). 2001. Settlement, Civilization and Culture: Proceedings of the Conference in Memory of David Alon. Ramat Gan: Bar Ilan University.
41. Maeir, A.M. 2001. The Baby, the Bathwater or Both: A reaction to Kletter and De-Groot's Proposal. Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology 14:92-95.
43. Maeir, A.M. & Ehrlich, C. 2001. "Excavating Philistine Gath: Have We Found Goliath's Hometown?" Biblical Archaeology Review 27/6:22-31.
38. Maeir, Aren M. 2002. "Perspectives on the Early MBII Period in the Jordan Valley". In The Middle Bronze Age Culture in the Levant. Proceedinof an International Conference on MB IIA Ceramics, Vienna, 24th-28th of January 2001, ed. M. Bietak, pp. 261-267. Vienna: Austrian Academy of Sciences.
42. A.M. Maeir, S. Dar and Z. Safrai (eds.). 2003. The Rural Landscape of Ancient Israel. BAR International Series 1121. Oxford: Hadrian Books.
43. A.M. Maeir, S. Dar and Z. Safrai. 2003. “The Rural Landscape of Ancient Israel: An Introduction”. In A.M. Maeir, S. Dar and Z. Safrai (eds.). The Rural Landscape of Ancient Israel, pp. ii-vi. BAR International Series 1121. Oxford: Hadrian Books.
44. Maeir, A.M. 2003. "Does Size Count? Urban and Cultic Perspectives on the Rural Landscape during the Middle Bronze II Period". In A.M. Maeir, S. Dar and Z. Safrai (eds.), The Rural Landscape of Ancient Israel, pp. 61-69. BAR International Series. Oxford: Hadrian Books.
45. Maeir, A.M. In press. Review of V. Karageorghis 2001. The White Slip Ware of Late Bronze Age Cyprus: Proceedings of an International Conference Organized by the Anastasios G. Leventis Foundation, Nicosia, in Honour of Malcolm Weiner, Nicosia, 29th-30th October 1998 (Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Denkschriften der Gesamtakademie, Band XX; Contributions to the Chronology of the Eastern Mediterranean, Volume II). Vienna: Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften. Israel Exploration Journal.
46. Safrai, Z., and Maeir, A.M. 2002. "àúà àâøúà îîòøáà ('An Epistle Came from the West'):Historical and Archaeological Evidence for the Ties between the Jewish Communities in the Land of Israel and Babylonia during the Talmudic Period." Jewish Quarterly Review 93/3-4: 497-531.
47. Boas, A.J., and Maeir, A.M. In Press. “The Crusader castle Blanche Garde and later remains at Tell es-Safi in light of recent discoveries”. Crusaders.
48. Maeir, A.M. 2003. “A Late Bronze Age, Syrian-Style Figurine from Tell es-Safi/Gath”. In R. Deutsch (ed.) Shlomo: Studies in Epigraphy, Iconography, History and Archaeology in Honor of Shlomo Moussaieff, pp. 197-206. Tel Aviv/Jaffa: Archaeological Center.
49. Maeir, A.M., and Ponting, M.J. Submitted. “The Waning of Roman Metallurgical Traditions during the Byzantine/Early Islamic Transition in the Levant: A Case Study based on a Hoard of Weapons from Mamilla, Jerusalem”. Levant
50. Ackermann, O., Bruins, H., and Maeir, A.M. In Press. “A Unique Human Made Trench at Tell es-Safi/Gath:
Anthropogenic impact and landscape response.” Geoarchaeology.
51. Maeir, A.M. In Press. Philistia Transforming: Fresh Evidence from Tell es-Safi/Gath on the Transformational Trajectory of the Philistine Culture. In The Philistines and other Sea Peoples, A. Killebrew, G. Lehmann and M. Artzy (eds.). Leiden: Brill.
52. Shai, I. and Maeir, A.M. 2003. The Pre-LMLK Jars: A New Class of Stoarge Jars Dating to the Iron Age II. Tel Aviv 30: 108-123.
53. Maeir, A.M. In Press. “The Tell es-Safi: 1998-2002”. American Journal of Archaeology.
54. Ackermann, O., Maeir, A.M., and Bruins, H., In Press. “Unique human-made catenary changes and their effect on soil and vegetation in the semi-arid Mediterranean zone: a case study on Sarcopoterium spinosum distribution near Tell es-Safi/Gath, Israel. Catena.
55. Maeir, A.M. In Press. “Canaanites and Philistines: Recent Excavations at Tell es-Sâfi/Gath, Israel (1996-2001)”. In J.-Cl. Margueron, P. de-Miroshcedji, and J.P. Thalmann (eds.). Proceedings of the 3rd ICAANE Conference, Paris, May 2002. Eisenbrauns: Winona Lake.
56. Maeir, A.M. In Press. “Tel Zafit”. The New Encyclopedia of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land, Supplementary Volume. Jerusalem: Israel Exploration Society.
57. Maeir, A.M. In Press. “Notes and News: Tell es-Safi/Gath, 1996-2002”. Israel Exploration Journal.
58. Maeir, A.M. In Press. Review of L. Bonfante and V. Karageorghis (eds.). 2001. Italy and Cyprus in Antiquity: 1500-400 B.C.: Proceedings of an International Symposium held at the Italian Academy for Advanced Studies in America at Columbia University, Nov. 16-18, 2000. Nicosia: Costakis and Leto Severis Foundation. Israel Exploration Journal.
59. Maeir, A.M. In Press. Review of Abu el-Haj, N. 2001. Facts on the Ground: Archaeological Practice and Territorial Self-Fashioning in Israeli Society.Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. Isis.
60. Maeir, A.M. Submitted. “The Historical Background and Dating of Amos 6, 2: An Archaeological Perspective from Tell es-Safi/Gath.” Vetus Testamentum.
61. Maeir, A.M., Martin, M., and Wimmer, S.J. Submitted. “An Incised Hieratic Inscription from Tell es-Safi, Israel”. Egypt and the Levant.
62. Maeir, A.M. Accepted. “A Philistine ‘Head Cup’ (Rhyton) from Tell es-Sâfi/Gath.” In A.M. Maeir and P. de-Miroschedji (eds.) I will speak the riddles of ancient times" (Ps 78:2b): Archaeological and Historical Studies in Honor of Amihai Mazar on the Occasion of his Sixtieth Birthday. Eisenbrauns: Winona Lake.
63. Maeir, A.M. In press. Bronze and Iron Age Tombs at Tel Gezer, Israel: Finds from Raymond-Charles Weill’s Excavations in 1914 and 1921 (with contributions by N. Panitz-Cohen, O. Keel, D. Barag, and N. and Y. Applbaum). BAR International Series. Oxford: Archaeopress.