Professor of Terrestrial Ecology – Soil Ecology,
The Mina & Everard Goodman Faculty of Life
Received his Ph.D. in Desert Ecology at
Spent 2 years Post-Doctoral study in the laboratory of Prof. W.G. Whitford, NMSU, USA.
Since 1983, member of the Jacob Blaustein Institute for Desert Research, Sede-Boker Campus, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev.
In 1990, promoted to Associate Professor.
In 1995, he became a Full Professor of Ecology and member of the University Senate.
1997-2000, Head of the Department of Life Sciences.
2000-2002, Dean of the Faculty of Life Sciences.
2001- present, Honorary Chairman of
Shengruiling Life Sciences Research Center, Shang Zhou,
1999-2002, Chairman of the R & D Hameshulash (Israeli Arab Research Center).
Member Antar XI 2000 - Peruvian Scientific Expedition to Antarctica.
2002, Honorary Professor of the Faculty of Land and Environment Shenyang Agricultural University, China;
2003, Nominated as the Israeli Representative to “Sustainable development, global change and ecosystems“ in the framework of 6th EU
2003, Nominated for the SES Board of Directors as a member- at-large.
2002-2005, Member of the Steering Committee for R&D Regional Development of Ministry of Science Culture & Sports, Israel.
Published more than 100 scientific papers and book chapters in Ecology, with emphasis on desert ecosystems.
More than forty students under his supervision, (Postdoctoral, PhD and MSc).
Pen-Mouratov, S., Xueli-He and Steinberger Y. (2004). Spatial
distribution and trophic diversity of nemaotde populations under Acacia
raddiana along a temperature gradient in the
2. Pavel R., Doyle J. and Steinberger Y. (2004). Preliminary Study of Cellulose Concentration in Desert Soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 36/3; 549-554.
3. Pen-Mouratov S., Rakhimbaev M., Barness G. and Steinberger Y. (2004) Spatial and temporal dynamics of the nematode population under Zygophyllum dumosum in an arid environment. European Journal of Soil Biology. 40; 31-46.
4. He X., Pen-Mouratov S. and Steinberger Y. (2004) Spatial variation of AM fungal spore under canopy of Acacia raddiana. Arid Land Research and Management 18: 295-299.
5. Steinberger Y.,
Pen-Mouratov S. and Whitford W.G. (2004). Soil disturbance by soil animals on a
topoclimatic gradient in
6. Rodriguez-Zaragoza and Y. Steinberger. (2004). Seasonal dynamics of amoebae in the root canopy of Zygophyllum dumosum in the Negev Desert, Israel. Pedobiologia 48: 277-281.
7. Mayzlish, E and Steinberger, Y. (2004). Effects of chemical inhibitors on soil protozoa dynamics in a desert ecosystem. Biology and Fertility of Soils 39: 415-421.
8. Pen-Mouratov S. and Steinberger Y. (2004) Spatio-temporal dynamic heterogeneity of a nematode population in a desert ecosystem. Journal of Nematology 37(1); 26-36.
9. Xie G. and Steinberger, Y. (2005). Nitrogen and carbon dynamics under the canopy of sand dune shrubs in a desert ecosystem. Arid Land Research and Management 19: 147-160.
10. Qi L., Mayzlish E.,
12. Shukurov N., Pen-Mouratov S., Genzer N., Plakht J. and Steinberger Y. (2005) Distribution of soil microbial biomass and soil free-living nematode population in terrace chronosequences of Makhtesh-Ramon crater. Arid Land Research and Management 19: 1-17.
13. Rodriguez-Zaragoza, S., Mayzlish E. and Steinberger Y. (2005) Vertical distribution of soil free-living amoeba population under desert shrubs in the Negev Desert, Israel. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 71: 2053-2060.
14. Shukurov, N., Pen-Mouratov, S. and Steinberger Y. (2005) The impact of the Almalyk industrial complex on soil chemical and biological properties. Environmental Pollution 136: 331-340.
15. Liang, W., Lavian,
16. Pen-Mouratov S. and Steinberger
Y. (2005). Responses of nematode population community structure and
diversity to pesticide treatments in arid ecosystem of the
17. Ou W, Liang WJ, Jiang Y, Li Q, Steinberger Y (2005) Vertical distribution of soil nematodes under different land use types in an aquic brown soil. Pedobiologia 49: 139–148.
18. Doyle J., Pavel R., Barness G. and Steinberger Y. (2006) Cellulase dynamics in desert soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38 (2); 371-376.
19. Shukurov N., Pen-Mouratov
S. and Steinberger Y. (2006) The influence of soil pollution on soil
microbial biomass and nematode community structure in Navoiy industrial park,
20. Pen-Mouratov S., Rakhimbaev M. and Steinberger Y. (2006) Spatio-temporal effect on soil respiration in fine-scale patches in a desert ecosystem Pedosphere 16(1) 1-9.
21. Xie, G.H, Cui, Z J., Jun Y., Su B.L., Hai, W L., Steinberger Y. (2006) Identification of nif Genes of N2-Fixing Bacterial Strains Isolated in Rice Field along the Yangtze River Plain. Journal of Basic Microbiology 6;46(1):56-63.
22. Kaffe-Abramovich T. and Steinberger Y. (2006) Soil microbial functional diversity response following nematocide and biocide amendments in a desert ecosystem. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38; 1066-1976.
23. Xiao Qin Dai, Peng Sui, Guang Hui Xie and Steinberger, Y. (2006) Water Use and Nitrate Nitrogen Changes in Intensive Farmlands following introduction of Poplar (Populus ´ euramericana) in a Semi-Arid Region. Arid Land Research and Management 20; 281-294.
24. Alon, G., Shore, L. and Steinberger, Y. (2007) Correlation between levels of sex hormones (progesterone, testosterone, estrogen) and ecophysiological behavior stages in two species of desert snails (Sphincterochila zonata and Sphincterochila prophetarum) in the northern Negev Desert. Journal of General and Comparative Endocrinology 151; 122-127.
25. Mayzlish, E. and Steinberger, Y. (2007) Amoeba community dynamics and diversity in a desert ecosystem. Biology and Fertility of Soils 43: 357-366.
26. Roth, G.A., Whitford, W.G. and Steinberger, Y. (2007) Jackrabbit (Lepus californicus) Herbivory Changes Dominance in Desertified Chihuahuan Desert Ecosystems. J. Arid Environments 70; 418-426.
27. Liu X., Shi C., Liang W., Jiang Y., Jiang D. and
28. Rodriguez-Zaragoza, S., Whitford, W.G. and
30. Dong D., Chen Y.,
31. Pen-Mouratov S., Shukurov N., Plakht J. and
S., Shukurov N. and
33. Whitford W.G., Barness
34. Pen-Mouratov S., Rodriguez-Zaragoza S. and
35. Chen, Y.-F.,
36. Pen-Mouratov, S. Barness, G. and
37. Shore L., Berg N., Lavi R. and
38. Pen-Mouratov S., Rodriguez-Zaragoza, S., Mayzlish
39. Oren, A. and Steinberger, Y. (2008)
Catabolic profiles of soil fungal communities along a geographic climatic
40. Oren, A. and Steinberger, Y. (2008) Coping with artifacts induced by CaCO3-CO2-H2O equilibria in substrate utilization profiling of calcareous soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry (in press).
41. Berg, N. and Steinberger, Y. (2008) Role of
perennial plants in determining the activity of the microbial community in a